Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda
Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda – Million-Dollar Messiah
Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda is a 60-year-old former heroin addict and convict who believes that he is the living incarnation of “Jesus Christ, the Man . . . the second coming of Christ.” The Puerto Rican-born Miranda claims that in 1973 he had an “epiphany” -- a revelatory manifestation of a divine being. He says that he doesn’t know why God picked him. Still, Miranda once believed that he was the reincarnation of the apostle Paul. Then two years later he proclaimed himself as Jesus Christ. “God merged with me [and] . . . the resurrected Jesus . . . integrated/infiltrated himself within me.”
Miranda formed his own ministry in the mid-'80s, Creciendo en Gracia (‘Growing in Grace Ministry’) or “God’s Government on Earth.” While currently headquartered in a Miami, Florida warehouse, Miranda travels with a security team of nine bodyguards. He claims that his followers, largely Hispanic, reside in more than 20 countries, primarily in Central and South America, as well as the United States. His people call him everything from apostle to Jesus Christ Man, giving him their entire savings, cars, businesses, and estates, including a million-dollar home in a gated community. What makes this self-proclaimed messiah’s message so enticing?
Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda – Destructive and Dangerous
Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda’s message is basic: “freedom to indulge.” He teaches that:
- The devil, hell, and sin are non-existent,
- Prayer is a waste of time, and
- The Ten Commandments (moral or ethical guidelines) are irrelevant.
These statements are both frightening and disturbing to authorities. Daniel Alvarez received his Masters Degree in Theology from Harvard Divinity School and serves as a Florida International University religion professor. Alvarez sees Crescendio en Gracia as having all the makings of a destructive cult with Miranda fitting into the classic mold of a cult leader who requires total submission by his followers. Cult authority, Rick Ross (Rick A. Ross Institute of New Jersey), agrees that Growing in Grace fits the basic profile of a dangerous cult which thrives on persuasion (brainwashing) and ultimately exploitation of its members.
Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda – Deceiver or Deliverer
Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda is not Jesus Christ, the Son of God. Christ means “anointed one” -- consecrated, set apart as holy.
- Unlike Miranda, Jesus Christ knew the purpose of His incarnation (Colossians 1:19-22).
- Christ humbly acknowledged God the Father as greater than Himself (John 5:19; 14:28).
- Jesus Christ fervently believed in praying -- especially for others (John 17) and in obedience to God the Father (Hebrews 5:7-8).
- Jesus Christ is the exact representation of the Eternal God, yet chose to lay down His divine nature as a human sacrifice, dying for our sins (Hebrews 1:3; 2:14-15).
- Jesus taught with the goal of honoring God (John 7:16-18).
Like this information? Help us by sharing it with others. What is this?